The Q&A Archives: Germinating Torenia Seeds

Question: I just opened a packet of Torenia, Happy Faces' hybrid mix seeds. This is the first time I tried Torenia seeds and I was surprised to find the seeds were a light powder or dust. Is this normal for Torenia seeds or have the seeds been crushed some how before they got to me? If this is normal, any tips on how to start them? Do the seeds need to be covered or should I just sprinkle over the top of the soil? John Ochman West Pittston, PA

Answer: I'm not sure if your seeds have been crushed--some seeds are so small they appear dust-like, but I'm not familiar with Torenia seeds. Why not try a simple germination test on a portion of the seeds? Rather than covering the seeds with soil, sprinkle them on the surface and press gently to form contact with the soil. Water very gently with a mister. Torenia seeds take 15 to 20 days to germinate. If you don't get any germination, contact Burpee for replacement.