The Q&A Archives: Appropriate Trees

Question: What trees might you suggest for my area? I live in the greater Portland area in a flood plain with (about 260 ft. above sea level). There are 2 hazelnut trees, a transparent apple, a willow, and 2 ill-looking hawthornes on the property already. We would like to put several small flowering trees in our front yard and to replace the hawthornes, but have avoided doing so after seeing our neighbors lose their young maple trees in last year's rainy winter. Other trees common in our neighborhood include willows of all sorts, birches, poplars, and maples, but we'd prefer something more in the compact range.

Answer: Some of the more popular patio trees for your zone include Chionanthus (Fringe Tree), Erythrina (Coral Tree), Acacia, Flowering Cherry, Stewartia, and Albizia (Silk Tree). Japanese Maple and Dogwood also perform well in your area. Except for the Japanese maple, each of the trees has the added bonus of seasonal bloom.