The Q&A Archives: Gloriosa Lily

Question: I recieved some Gloriosa lily bulbs and have never planted bulbs that looked similar to these, I am unsure as to how to plant them. Should they be planted horizontally like an iris or vertically like tulips, etc. and is there a particular position to place them in?

Answer: Gloriosa Lilies grow from tuberous roots, which are set horizontally, about 4" deep, in light, spongy soil. The plants grow best in full sun to part shade and need lots of water during the spring and summer. Gloriosa's are heavy feeders, so plan to apply a diluted liquid fertilizer every 3 weeks during growth. When the leaves begin to yellow in the fall, reduce watering, lift the roots and store over the winter, then replant outdoors in the early spring.