The Q&A Archives: Goldenrain Tree

Question: Does the goldenrain tree have a problem attracting bugs? A local nursery told me not to buy one due to a terrible problem with box-elder bugs? Can you help me find out if this is true?

Answer: You're wise to do your homework prior to investing in a landscape tree or plant. If you choose plants with requirements that match the situation you can provide within your landscape, the plant will be healthier and more trouble-free. Koelreuteria, or Goldenrain, does not have a reputation for attracting Box-Elder Bugs, but seems to be attractive to scale insects. These sucking insects excrete a substance called 'honeydew' which is just high enough in sugar content to promote the growth of fungus, also called sooty mold. Scale insects can be controlled with dormant oil sprays, if in fact your Goldenrain Tree comes under attack.