The Q&A Archives: HOT Horse Radish

Question: I grind my horse radish and add vinegar and salt and it is ok, but it just is not as hot as I would like it to be. Someone told me that the longer you let it set before adding the vinigar the stronger it gets, but I tried it and it did not work. Please let me know how to heat it up?

Answer: Harvesting, handling and processing practices all contribute to the taste of the finished product. Your friend was right in that you wait longer before adding the vinegar but not much -- only three minutes. For a very complete discussion of how to harvest, handle, grind and adjust the hotness of horseradish you might wish to consult the University of Illinois web site at where you will find an in depth discussion of what to do for hotter (or less hot) horseradish. Enjoy!