The Q&A Archives: Summer Bulb Instructions

Question: I recently received a selection of bulbs from Burpee. They range from dahlia to begonias. Each, I am sure has different instructions for planting depth, area light etc. I received no instructions. Is this normal? HELP!!

Answer: You are correct in that each type of bulb has different instructions both for planting and for ongoing care and then for winter storage. Rather than try to guess which ones you have, I would suggest you search the Q&A library for information and also perhaps look at some basic books with information about the various summer bulbs. One I particularly like is "Flowering Bulbs for Dummies" by Judy Glattstein, ISBN 0-7645-5103-5.

I'm sorry I don't know Burpee's policy on instructions; you might wish to call their cutomer service directly and ask. Their number is 800-333-5808.