The Q&A Archives: What is a Hardy Gloxinia?

Question: I just bought a perennial from my local Home Depot just for the looks. Not knowing what is was, I thought I could find it in my Burpee Gardening book. But it is not listed. I would like to know as much as possible about it- what zones it grows well in, how big it will get.

Answer: Hardy Gloxinia is Incarvillea delavayi, and can be grown outdoors in zones 6-10 in full sun or light shade. (The more tender Gloxinia is traditionally grown indoors as a houseplant.) Incarvillea delavayi requires humus rich, well draining soil. Keep the soil moist during the growing season, and remove faded blooms to encourage additional flowers. The only absolute requirement of Hardy Gloxinia is excellent soil drainage during the winter months. The plants will grow 1 1/2 - 2 feet tall and about 12 inches wide. Hope this helps!