The Q&A Archives: Is Butterfly Bush Hardy to Zones 3-4?

Question: Is the "butterfly bush" (Buddleia davidii) hardy in SD? Because of our elevation and soil, I try to use plants that will be hardy in zone 3. Geographically we are zone 4 but I find it very risky to use zone 4 plants and trees. John Gebhart Watertown, SD

Answer: Sorry to say, the butterfly bush isn't really hardy enough for your conditions. It is generally recommended for zones 5-9. You could give it a try in a well protected area, away from prevailing winter winds and with lots of attention to winter protection, but be prepared for partial or complete die-back. Have you considered alternatives? There are several lilac varieties such as the Nodding lilac (Syringa reflexa) that are hardy in your zone. Check with your extension agent or local nurseries forother ideas.