The Q&A Archives: Weed Woes

Question: I have a sloped area where we planted a groundcover but it has not quite covered the area yet. Meanwhile, grassy weeds are taking over the area. How do you suggest that I tackle this problem?

Answer: Weeds can be a real problem when you're trying to get groundcover established. One of the easiest ways to stop weeds from growing on bare ground is to place a 3"-4" inch thick organic mulch between your plants. The mulch will eliminate sunlight from reaching the soil surface and prevent weed seeds from germinating. If weed seeds blow onto the surface of the mulch and sprout, they'll be easy to hand pull. Groundcover, on the other hand, can easily root in organic mulch and by the time the mulch has degraded, your groundcover will have grown thick enough to cover the area.