The Q&A Archives: Blueberry Bushes

Question: I recently purchased 2 "Bluecrop" and 2 "Blueray" type blueberry bushes. Did I buy the right types to get cross-pollination? The nursery didn't know!

What can you tell me about these particular plants? I'm in zone 7 with terrible clay soil!

Answer: All blueberries are 'self-fruitful' and do not require pollination, but you'll get bigger, better berries if you grow two different cultivars. Bluecrop and Blueray are both highbush blueberries and have the ability to grow 10' tall at maturity. They are good choices for your region because they require a pronounced winter chill to produce fruit. Blueberries require an acidic soil, so amend your clay soil with plenty of peatmoss prior to planting, and mulch around the plants with additional peat. Your blueberry plants make excellent screens or hedges, require very little pruning and have the added bonus of red-barked canes which are attractive during the winter months. In addition to acidic soil, blueberries require moist, but quick draining soils. If you mix compost and peat with your native soil prior to planting, it will facilitate drainage and keep your new shrubs healthy and happy.