The Q&A Archives: Plants for Zone 5

Question: I am a new gardener.I have really very little experience.
Could you tell me some plants that would be beautiful yet easy enough to keep up for a zone 5 beginner?

Answer: Rather than just give you a long list of plants and no instructions, I think you might want to take a look at some basic gardening books. One I particularly like is "Gardening For Dummies" by Michael MacCaskey, ISBN 1-56884-644-4. In it you will find no-nonsense basics about climate, soil, plant selection and ongoing care for lawns, trees, shrubs, roses, flowers, and enough vegetables to get you started in almost any type of gardening.

You might also want to contact your County Extension (825-0900) for suggestions as to plants and varieties which do particularly well in your local area. Enjoy your garden!