The Q&A Archives: Cats Digging Flower Beds

Question: What can I do to deter cats from digging up my flower beds?

Answer: Cats love to dig in soft soil and will return to the same place time after time. If you can break the habit, the cats will stop visiting. Try putting a barrier between the cats and the soil by laying crumpled chicken wire over the bed. You can lay it down and cut holes for the plants, or if the plants are already in, just lay pieces over the bare spots. Another deterent is to place stakes all around the bed and string nylon fishing line between the stakes, criss-crossing every 8"-10" and keeping the line about 6" above the surface of the soil. Either of these barriers will keep cats from digging. Once they get the message that your garden isn't a pleasant place to visit, they'll take their business elsewhere.