The Q&A Archives: Moss In The Lawn

Question: How do I get rid of moss in my lawn?

Answer: Moss is a symptom of several underlying problems, including too much shade, poor drainage, compacted soil, low fertility and high acidity. You can rake to remove the moss and then overseed the bare areas. Usually there isn't much you can do to correct shade problems, but you can put your lawn on a regular feeding, watering and mowing schedule to help it thrive and grow thick enough to crowd out moss. Feed your lawn 4 times each year, in April, June, September and late November, applying one pound of actual nitrogen per 1,000 square feet of lawn with each application. Water regularly, supplying one inch of water once or twice a week, depending upon weather. Finally, keep your lawn mowed at the right height, leaving the clippings on to help supply additional nutrients. Following the above guidelines should restore your lawn's health and help keep moss from growing.

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"