The Q&A Archives: Wilt prevention in flowers

Question: How can I prevent flowers from wilting during the hot summer months? No matter how much water I put on them, it happens too often. Richard Long Farmingdale, NY

Answer: There are two things I can tell you. One is called noon time wilt and is a natural phenomenon. The plants are losing water faster than they can absorb it from the ground. When the rate of loss slows down as the sun gets lower in the sky, the rate of absorption of water catches up with the rate of water loss and the plant revives....not to worry. The second is that you can improve the moisture retentive properties of the soil by adding as much compost as you can. Compost acts like a sponge-absorbing and holding water while it maintains good drainage so the plant roots don't drown! It's great stuff!