The Q&A Archives: Evergreen vines for mild climates

Question: I have a trellis (8'tall, 36' wide) in my backyard to hide my neighbor's brick wall (our neighborhood is zero lot line...). I want an evergreen vine to cover it that stay pretty year-round, in Dallas. Right now I have six fully grown coral honeysuckle plants, but they are rather wild looking for my taste and aren't so attractive in thewinter. I would even settle for two different types of vines, for example sweet pea in the winter and lab-lab in the summer. Any suggestions? Karen Sykes Dallas, TX

Answer: Dutchman's Pipe (Aristolochia durior) is a quick-growing, larged-leaved vine which will provide dense cover quickly. It may remain evergreen in mild climates. English ivy (Hedera helix) and wintercreeper (Euonymous fortunei) are tidy, evergreen vines. You might consider mixing in a flowering annual vine with one of these evergreens to add a bit of color. Carolina Yellow Jessamine (Gelsemium sempervirens) is a well-mannered climber with profuse yellow blooms. A heat-loving vine, it can also withstand brief dips to 15 degrees F.