The Q&A Archives: Lakemont Grape

Question: I have ordered a Lakemont White Seedless grape vine from the Burpee catalog. Since I didn't think to ask about its growing habits before I ordered, I am now wondering if it is a suitable grape for this NE PA climate. There doesn't seem to be any organization in my county who will give me a straight answer. Can you? There is still time to order something that is suitable.

Answer: Here is some fairly detailed information on a number of grape varieties including Lakemont at and at and although the information is from West Virginia and the North Carolina Piedmont, at least it is a similar USDA zone. As with any varietal selection, there is a certain amount of trial and error to be expected due to the variations in your own garden and microclimate so experience will be your best indicator, but Lakemont seems to be a good variety with wide adapatability.

Your County Extension (either the ag/horticulture agent or perhaps through the Master Gardener program) should also have some recommendations, along with the suggested annual spray routine and timing needed to produce healthy vines and grapes in your local area. Their telephone number is 391- 9840.