The Q&A Archives: When seeds come up too soon

Question: I started some Burpee annual and perennial flowers indoors according to the directions on the packet. I put all the seeds in peat pellets in a plastic tray with a clear plastic top. The annuals started coming up within two days, and the perennials started coming up in four days. The seeds came up much too soon. I can't plant for a long time yet. What do I do now? Can I simply take the clear plastic top off of the trays? Ron Cleaver Annapolis, MD

Answer: You have two choices, start to grow the seedlings inside or start over. If you want to continue to grow the seedlings you need to remove the cover as soon as possible. To continue you will need to have a space where you can give them enough controled light so the won't get leggy and be able to transplant them into larger containers suitable for their growth. They will require a lot of attention but you could end up with some early flowers in garden. To slow their growth place them in a cooler room,still under lights, but with temperatures in the low 60Fs.