The Q&A Archives: shade flowers (annual)

Question: I live in a apartment that has two beds having very little sun(it is a northern exposure).I would really like to plant some flowers in them . Could you suggest some? Also, the beds have been heavily mulched; do I need to do anything before I plant any thing in them?

Answer: Some good annuals for shade include impatiens, caladium, coleus, polka dot plant (hypoestes) and if there is a touch of sun fibrous rooted begonias, annual lobelia and perhaps sweet alyssum. These plants appreciate a fairly rich soil with plenty of organic matter added, so you might work in some compost, rotted leaves, aged manure and bedding or similar material prior to planting. If the mulch has decomposed you can work that into the soil as well if you wish as it will help feed the soil as it breaks down. You might also work in some balanced granular fertilizer such as 10-10-10 at the rate indicated on the package label based on the square footage.