The Q&A Archives: Daffodil Greens, But No Blooms

Question: I have many daffodils planted, some naturalized, and some in formal border plantings. Over the past 2 to 3 years, there has been a decrease in the number of blooms. This year, I have quite a few bunches of green with no blooms whatsoever. My main question is, do daffodils need to be divided? Some of these plantings are over 12 years old. Have the bulbs outlived their lifespan?

Answer: Daffodil bulbs are very longlived, but most varieties do need to be divided and replanted when they become crowded. Failure to do this can result in foliage without blooms. Another cause for foliage without blooms is removing the foliage while it is still green instead of allowing it to grow, replenish the bulbs, and then die back naturally. In your case, I suspect they need to be lifted and divided. You can do it in the fall, or you can do it when the foliage is faded. If you dig them then, you will need to store them for the summer. If you plant to do it in the fall, mark the spots where they are growing so you can find them easily.