The Q&A Archives: Squirrels Chewing Succulents

Question: I have a succulent garden (sedum, sempervivum) and have noticed squirrels are gnawing at the leaves; the pieces are left on the ground and the leaves are chewed up. Why would they do this and how can I stop it (besides wringing their furry little necks!)? Thank You so much!

Answer: Sometimes rodents and other pests chew on fruit and other succulent plant parts for the moisture they hold. This would make sense if it's been unusually dry in your area. Put out some trays of water and see if they are more attracted to it than your succulents. For the meantime, cover your succulents with fencing (like chicken wire) to protect them. You can also try some of the commercial repellents on the market (Hot Pepper Wax from Gardener's Supply Co., for instance). Best of luck to you!