The Q&A Archives: Container Garden

Question: I live in a 3 family house with a porch which is directly above my downstairs neighbors' porch. I'm planning on growing vegetables in containers but don't want to get my neighbors wet as I water the pots. I bought fairy long (25"-30") & deep (12"-16") plastic pots at but can't find trays to put underneath them. Any suggestions where I can find trays or how I can make something which will catch the water as it runs through the holes? I've thought about putting rocks in the bottom of 1 pot, poking holes in an identical pot, and placing the pot with holes in the other. This would have the smallest footprint but seems like a waste of a pot. Any ideas?

Answer: You are a thoughtful neighbor! How about if you build a wooden frame, with or without a bottom, and line it with several sheets of thick-mil plastic sheeting? Another alternative is to use a slow-drip watering method that won't flood the pots. There are lots of gadgets available at home centers these days to serve this purpose. I also recommend Burpee's Terra-Sorb, a soil additive that reduces watering chores (see the Burpee website at for more info). Best of luck!