The Q&A Archives: Eucalyptus Trees --Cold Tolerance?

Question: I am in zone 8. I am considering using eucalyptus trees as a wind block. How cold tolerant are these? The guy at the local nursery tells me he has the most cold tolerant variety, but he feels that their survivability is marginal in the event that we have a cold winter. Any opinion on this?

Answer: There are a number of Eucalyptus cultivars hardy enough to grow in your area. Here's a partial listing: Eucalyputs albens, E. campaspe, E. cornuta, E eremophila, E. erythrocorys, E. formanii, E. globulus, E. grossa, E. kruseana, E. mannifera, E. megacornuta, E. orbifolia, E papuana, E. platypus, E. populnea, E. presissiana, E. pyriformis, E. sargentii, E. sideroxylon, and E. tetraptera. All of the above cultivars are hardy to 22F. There are several that are hardy to about 10F, so depending upon the conditions in your own yard, you may want to choose one of these: E. formanii, E. gunnii, E. macrocarpa, E. microtheca, E. nicholii, E. pauciflora, E. niphophila, E. perriniana, E. rhodantha, E. robusta, E. stellulata, and E. viminalis. Being hardy to these temperatures is no guarantee that the plant will live when exposed to low temperatures for a prolonged length of time, but chances are that the roots will remain viable even if the tops die back during unusually cold weather. Hope the above helps you narrow your choice to just the right Eucalyptus.