The Q&A Archives: Disappearing Bleeding Hearts

Question: I had a lovely bed of Dicentra eximia 'Alba' (starting with two plants self sowing to about 30 plants) for the last three years. This spring, not one of them came up. It was a mild winter, nothing disturbed the mulch bed, and I'm stumped! They seemed to be very happy under the spruce trees. They were certainly reproducing very fast. My pink Dicentras are beautiful (in a bed about twenty feet away).

Any ideas?

Answer: How perplexing! Short of something tunneling through unnoticed, or something being accidently (or unbeknownst to you) applied to the area, or perhaps a change in drainage patterns, I can't think of a logical explanation for it, either. Perhaps they are simply a bit "late" this year for reasons of their own. I hope that's all it is.