The Q&A Archives: White Pine

Question: How would you fertilize this type of tree and when would you go about doing this? Are there any other insect problems besides the weevil? What diseases besides blister rust have been a problem with the white pine? How would I go about controlling some of these problems? Thanks for your time.

Answer: The two pests you mention are the most serious affecting white pine. Other major problems are environmental--white pines are intolerant of salt spray (foliage will brown near salted roadways), air pollution, and the foliage can sometimes be desiccated by dry winter winds in particularly windswept areas.

White pines prefer a soil of moderate moisture content. They do not do well in waterlogged or heavy clay soils. If your soil is of moderate fertility, I suggest an annual application of compost in a band around the drip line to add any necessary nutrients. I don't think regular fertilizing with a soluble fertilizer is necessary, and overfertilizing often leads to problems in plants.