The Q&A Archives: Swampy Area

Question: Between my house and my neighbors house there is a low area. My neighbor continues to overwater, making this area very swampy. Is there a shrub or perennial that will grow here? My soil is clay and the area receives full sun, we have extended summer temps of 90-105.

Answer: Cornus alba (Red Twig Dogwood) is an attractive shrub that tolerates wet feet, grows in full sunshine, and doesn't mind heavy clay soil. Other choices include Rodgersia pinnata, Mimulus, and Filipendula. Perennial possibilities include Day Lily, Lythrum (purple loosestrife), Primula (primrose), Lobelia, Geum and Astilbe. Each of these plants provides seasonal flowers and the Red Twig Dogwood has attractive stems and branches in the winter after the leaves fall.