The Q&A Archives: Clematis Seed Starting

Question: How do I start clematis vines from seeds? I planted several in pots indoors last summer and none sprouted. My friend had similar problems.

Answer: Clematis need a cold treatment to break dormancy, and then can take 30-270 days to germinate at 70F - 75F degrees, so it's no wonder you had difficulty starting seeds! The easiest way to sprout the seeds is to sow them 1/8 inch deep in moistened seed starting mix, in individual pots. Start the process in the autumn and place the pots outdoors, in a protected area, where they won't receive too much rain (next to a building is usually a good site). Winter weather will complete the dormancy cycle. In the spring, the seeds should sprout. If they don't emerge by mid-spring, keep them cool and moist during the summer and then bring the pots into a greenhouse, or indoors to a well lit, but not sunny location. Keep the soil moist and the seeds should sprout by the following spring. Good luck with your seed starting project!