The Q&A Archives: Growing black beans for soup

Question: We want to make black bean soup! In your catalog on page 55 you have a black turtle bean! My questions are: 1. Will these beans make good black bean soup? 2. How do you recommend growing processing them for the soup?

Answer: Since I don't know your locale, I can't say for sure if you will be able to grow your beans to full maturity, including drying on the vine. In some areas conditions are too humid to permit complete drying. Dry beans are harvested when the pods havematured and begun to dry up, but before they split open and drop the beans. (Or if necessary, you can pull up the whole plant and dry them in a cool, dry place.) Once the beans are fully dry, use them like you would store-bought black beans. You can also try cooking the beans fresh -- once they are mature in the pod but before they dry. The resulting soup would probably be quite different than soup made from dried beans but it's worth a try.