The Q&A Archives: Searching for Bouvardia

Question: I am trying to locate a flower called Bavardia or Bevardia. It is a small white,wax like flower. My mother in law carried this flower at her wedding 60 years ago in Berkly,Ca. I would like to grow it for her.

Answer: You might be referring to Bouvardia longiflora (also called B. humboldtii). According to the Sunset Western Garden Book, this flower is used in bouquets, and has an aroma similar to jasmine.

The plant is native to Arizona, New Mexico, Mexico, and Central America. It is an evergreen shrub (2-3' tall) with showy clusters of tubular flowers. The variety 'Albatross' is white; the variety 'Stephanie' is more compact and tends to have more flowers.

For a picture of the plants, see the following Web site:

If you need a source for the plant, try Logee's Greenhouses 141 North St. Danielson, CT USA 06239-1939 Telephone 888-330-8038 They used to carry the plant, but I'm not sure if they still do.