The Q&A Archives: African Violets

Question: I have two African violet plants.They have not flowered for well over a year. What do I have to do to get them flowering again?

Answer: The most common reasons for non-flowering include insufficient light, especially in winter, dry air, cold air, and failure to remove side shoots. Here are some general care guidelines for growing African violets: Provide average household warmth with a minimum of 60F in the winter. Avoid cold drafts and sudden changes in temperature. Give bright light, but protect from direct sunlight. To promote wintertime bloom, provide artificial light (plants bloom best when given 14 hours of light each day), keep the soil moist but wait until the top begins to dry before watering again, use tepid water, and provide humidity by placing the pots on a tray of pebbles filled with water. As the water evaporates it will increase humidity around the plants. By following the above guidelines, you'll be providing your African violets with the environment they need and they'll reward you with blooms.