The Q&A Archives: Growing Honeysuckle

Question: I am new to this area, where it freezes in the winter occasionally for brief periods. I am thinking of growing the "John Clayton" honeysuckle on my chain link fence. How far apart would I plant each one, and what will happen to them during the winter? (I am from San Francisco, where we didn't have winter, or summer either.)

Answer: Lonicera sempervirens 'John Clayton' is an semievergreen twining vine with showy, unscented, orange-yellow to scarlet, trumpet shaped flowers. During very cold winters the plants will lose their leaves, but during standard winter weather they should retain most of their leaves. Depending upon how quickly you want coverage of your fence (the more plants, the faster the fill-in), you can space your honeysuckles about 8' apart.