The Q&A Archives: Growing hostas and lamb's ear under grow lights

Question: I've started some seedlings. Have Lamb's Ear seedlings, they came up fast and strong but now their smallest leaves are turning bright yellow. I know somethings wrong but I don't know what. I haven't fertilized yet, as they are only about 4 weeks old. I also have some hostas started and they are about one inch tall, but showing some brown spots on their leaves. The spots are not tiny like with bugs, bigger, about 25% of the leaf surface. Looks like sunburn on full grown hosta plants. Any ideas? Both are growing under grow lights. Teri Starr Fairbury, NE

Answer: Your hostas may not like the grow lights and I'd consider moving them further away from the light. The lamb's ears may just need a shot of liquid fertilizer such as seaweed mix or fish emulsion to keep them green. Also, keep them well watered and the bottom heat around 70F for best growth.