The Q&A Archives: Watering Newly Planted Trees

Question: How often should I water my White Birch and my Flowering Plum trees that I recently planted? Also what kind of fertilizer should I use on them?

Answer: I would not worry about fertilizing your trees right away. Next spring, you can begin a fertilizer program, applying a layer of compost or other slow-release fertilizer around the trees. If nature doesn't provide a good, steady rainshower at least once a week, you'll need to water the trees. If you have sandy soil, you may need to water more often. Try to let water trickle from a hose for several hours, saturating the soil to a depth of at least a foot. (Don't simply water a little bit every day--that encourages shallow roots that are vulnerable to drought and insect damage.) Good luck.