The Q&A Archives: Space Needed For Sweet Corn

Question: I have a two 30 foot rows in my vegetable garden that I would like to plant with sweet corn. Are 2 rows enough for corn and which type would you recommend for South Texas?

Answer: Because corn is wind pollinated, we usually recommend you plant corn a minimum of 4 rows wide. Otherwise, if the wind were blowing crosswise, all the pollen would move out of the patch resulting in very poorly filled ears.

I suggest you consider redesigning the garden to allow a more "square" block for the corn. You will be much happier with the results.

There are so many types of corn that it is difficult to recommend one for you. Among the ones to consider from Burpee are Kandy Korn and Silver Queen. But try others to see which you like best!