The Q&A Archives: Planning a vegetable garden

Question: I have a very large garden ( 40ft x 100ft ), I would like to know what would be the best way to section it. What plants should be planted together because of watering needs or growing habits? I feel that last year I just threw seeds in the ground withno real plan. Tracee Kerr Casper, WY

Answer: I assume you're growing a vegetable garden. If so, plant the tall crops (corn, tomatoes pole beans) on the northern edge. Orient the row east to west to get the most sun. Grow the shortest plants (lettuce, carrots) on the southern edge and plant othercrops with increasing height as you go back. You can plant vingin crops on trellises or at the east or west edge of the garden to trail off into the lawn and not take up space in the garden. Check out what the neighbors are growing and experiment to see what works best.