The Q&A Archives: Fastest Germinating Seeds

Question: I am working with a kid's club and they are going to be growing flowers and vegatables. Since kids can be impatient, I am wondering what the fastest germinating seeds would be? I am looking for a few flowers and a few vegetables to give the kids some variety.

Answer: Some of the quickest flower seeds to germinate include Centaurea (Bachelor's Button) 7-10 days, Dianthus (Sweet William) 5-10 days, Rudbeckia (Gloriosa daisy) 5-10 days, Ageratum 6-10 days, Cosmos 5-7 days, Sweet Alyssum 8-15 days, Zinnia 5-7 days, and Mexican Marigold 5-7 days. Vegetable seeds to try include corn 5-7 days, cucumber 7-10 days, lettuce 7-10 days, and watermelon 5-7 days. To ensure success, plant your seeds in moistened seed starting mix and put them in a warm area such as on top of the refrigerator.