The Q&A Archives: Planting After Tree Removal

Question: I would like to know: We have had a blue spruce large
tree removed because of a fungus we could not control.
The stump is going to be removed by the tree surgeon. What
I need to know is can I (after the stump is removed)plant
another tree right away? I would like to plant either a
Dogwood or a Weeping Cherry tree. If so is there any
procedure I need to follow besides the procedure for planting a new tree?

Answer: Assuming that whatever afflicted the spruce would not also find the new tree a suitable host, the most important consideration would be the condition of the soil. You might find that it has become somewhat depleted immediately beneath the old tree. You might also find that the remains of the stump and close-in roots are still a bit of an impediment to digging a wide hole for the new tree to root through. As a precaution, I would suggest running some basic soil tests to be sure. Dogwoods require a moist yet well drained and acid soil to do well and prefer a humusy soil that has a lot of organic matter in it. Cherries are slightly less demanding but will certainly do best in a deep rich soil. Your County Extension (690-2655) should be able to help with the tests and interpreting the results.