The Q&A Archives: Drying or Storing Rosemary

Question: I would like to know how to dry rosemary for storing -- or should I just freeze it?

Answer: Rosemary dries easily by hanging clipped branches or sprigs in a dark, airy, dry place or by setting them out on racks or screens in a similar spot. When thoroughly dry, place in airtight containers and store in the dark. (Light causes herb quality to deteriorate.) Before storing, you might try a test by putting some in a jar and closing it up tight to check for condensation after a day or so, if there is any, dry it a little longer and test again. Many gardeners find that they are able to keep a rosemary as a container plant and can then harvest fresh leaves year round. In my experience, the flavor is better that way.