The Q&A Archives: When to Expect First Crop from Strawberries

Question: I am just about to order strawberry and blueberry plants from the catalog. It is now late April and I live near NYC (Zone 4, I think). Can I expect crops this summer?

Answer: Generally strawberries do not bear the first year -- at planting it is suggested to remove the flower buds which would become berries in May or June. This is so the plants can devote their energy into becoming established rather than fruiting. Blueberries on the other hand are somewhat of an investment and can take several years to become established well enough to bloom and bear much of a crop. Since you are so close to New York City, you are at least a zone 6 and maybe a zone 7 depending on your microclimate -- a great climate to garden in!