The Q&A Archives: Night Blooming Cerus

Question: I would like information about night blooming cereus.

Answer: There are several species of cereus that bloom at night, including the saguaro, but I assume you are referring to "Queen of the Night," which is often called night blooming cereus. Its Latin name is Cereus greggii.

They're strange looking plants and many people wouldn't notice them in the wild unless they were pointed out. Plants often grow under the protection of mesquite or palo verde trees. They have woody stems, that can look almost dead. Stems are about as big around as a finger, have small spines, and grow upright 2-4 feet. They are nourished by underground tubers that look like misshapen sweet potatoes and can grow very large. White flowers bloom at night in late May and early June, and close during the day.

If you want to try growing them at open, provide protection from the sun as they grow in nature (under trees). Plant in extremely well-drained soil.