The Q&A Archives: Controlling Rhubarb and Horseradish

Question: The previous owners of my home grew rhubarb and horseradish. Both grow invincibly although the horseradish is by far the worst plant to control and eliminate. It continues to grow rampantly in spite of my digging up as many of the roots as I can. What can I do to eradicate the horseradish once and for all?

Answer: Horseradish is tenacious, there's no doubt about it. Unfortunately, like dandelions, the roots grow extrememly deep and are survivors. Repeated chopping or mowing in spring will eventually deplete the roots' reserves and kill the plant. Or you can cover the area with landscape fabric and plant preferred flora through it.

Another option is to give away the crowns of rhubarb and horseradish roots in a "dig your own" day -- invite neighbors to take them away for the digging. And I know you'll be sure to give them fair warning about the abundance to follow. Best of luck!