The Q&A Archives: Watering Tips for Peppers and Tomatoes

Question: I live in southern California, I planted a small vegetable garden with several different varieties of tomatoes (Roma, Better Boy, Big Boy)and peppers (Anaheim, Hungarian, Habanero Jalapeno). All the plants seem to be doing very well they have all reached the top of thier cages and appear very healthy with a lot of flowers. Friends have told me to reduce watering for the tomatoes to every third day but to water very deep for the most fruit. Is this true ? What about the peppers?

Answer: Every third day seems a bit arbitrary, since Mother Nature has no dependable plan for balancing hot, dry days with cool, dewey ones. But your friends surely speak from experience in your exact Southern California clime and I will not be one to argue with experience. I do, however, always recommend mulching to maintain an even moisture level and avoid detrimental extremes between one soaking and the next. Yes, you can apply this technique to peppers, remembering that soils leaning to the dry side will produce higher heat in hot peppers.