The Q&A Archives: Potentilla Blooms Once

Question: I have a yellow-flowering potentilla shrub that will only bloom once per season. I know from looking at other potentillas, that it should bloom all summer. Why will my plant only bloom once per summer?

Answer: If this is an older, established plant, I would try pruning immediately after flowering and see if that helps. Next year, try pruning it back in late winter. Pruning stimulates the production of young, vigorous shoots. Young or old, potentilla need sun, adequate water, and nutrients to put on their best show.

Potentilla are relatively pest-free; there are a few leaf spot and mildew diseases, and they can suffer from spider mites. There are many, many different varieties of potentilla, and some may have a more prolonged flowering period than others.