The Q&A Archives: Harvesting Violet Seeds

Question: I read the board's posting on starting violets from seed. How and when can I harvest violet seeds. My lawn has a full patch of violets in bloom and I would like to rework that are this Spring without losing the violets.

Answer: When the flowers fade and the petals fall, watch carefully for a swelling of the ovary. When the outer covering turns a tannish color, the seeds are ripe and ready for harvest. Given the difficulty with timing and the additional trouble of germinating, you might want to dig the violet plants up and grow them in pots, rather than collect the seeds. Violets self-sow and also spread by underground roots. If you rescue the plants now, you'll have a healthy population of plants to replant when the section of landscape is ready.