The Q&A Archives: Martha Washington Geraniums

Question: How should I take care of my new Martha Washington Geranium. Should it be placed in full sun? South or west exposure? How much water/fertilizer should I give her? Can I over water her?

Answer: Pelargonium domesticum is the formal name of your Martha Washington Geranium. She can grow to 3' tall with a spreading habit. You can pinch her back to keep her from getting rangy, or put her in a hanging basket so she can cascade down over the sides. Give your plant some shade from hot afternoon sun in the summer, and keep the soil on the dry side (wait until the top inch of soil is dry, then water thoroughly, making sure the entire root mass is watered). You can feed every 4 weeks with a diluted liquid fertilizer or by broadcasting granular 5-10-10 on the soil surface and scratching it in to the soil surface. Pinch the growing tips early in the season to encourage a bushy habit and remove faded flowers throughout the season to encourage additional blooms.