The Q&A Archives: Mold on seedlings

Question: I started some lobelia seeds several weeks ago in one of your seed starter flats with the lid. Lo behold, I actually have seedlings, but I do have a little bit of a mold problem. I know, I got it too wet, but what can I do, and am I ruined? How can I avoid this with the other 15 packs of seeds I ordered? Mel Boeh Independence, MO

Answer: Usually , as you summized, mold is a result of getting seed starting flat too wet or leaving them covered after the seeds have sprouted. You should be able to dry up the mold by putting the uncovered seedlings in a sunny spotand let them dry out. Some tips on growing seedlings: -Don't plant your seeds too early. -Know when you can plant your seedlings outside. -Use a good commercial prepared soiless mix -Don't overwater the the planting mix and have drainage for the containers -Uncover the growing containers as soon as a few of seeds start germinating -Have a good light source for all your seedlings -Be prepared to transplant those that will grow too large for their original container