The Q&A Archives: Leaves Turning Yellow on Lupine Seedlings

Question: My Lupine seedlings started out growing vigorously in seed-starting medium. After the second leaves appeared I transplanted them into potting soil. At the fifth week the leaves started turning yellow; some brown at the edges. I raised the fluorescent light and fertilize regularly, but still the seedlings appear weak, just hanging-in there. Any ideas what could be going wrong with my Lupines?

It may be that the potting soil you used is too heavy and moist and is making it hard for the lupine seedlings to recover from transplant shock. Transplant shock is what seedlings suffer when roots are disturbed at transplant time, making it difficult to take up moisture and nutrients. Overfertilization can sometimes damage tender roots, so be sure to follow the label directions carefully.

I suggest that you keep the fluorescent bulbs within an inch of the seedlings to provide intense light. You may want to start some more seed just to be sure you get some healthy plants. If you plant them thinly, you won't have to transplant them for about 6 weeks, when they should have strong root systems that can withstand transplanting better. Best of luck!