The Q&A Archives: Margaret Hunt Clematis

Question: I've just moved in here, and have been told that the 6" plants by the front of the house are relatively new Margaret Hunt clematis. Can you please tell me when they will bloom, and once they get over 2' in height how to go about pruning them? I am particularly looking for a clematis that will bloom the majority of the summer months, not just in spring or for only one month.

Answer: Clematis viticella 'Margaret Hunt' will grow 12'-15', bearing purple or rose purple 2" flowers from June through August. It's a very hardy plant and can be pruned after flowering (in the fall). Your clematis will bloom in about 2 years and will develop blossoms on wood produced in the spring. When pruning, cut the wood back to 2 or 3 buds so you'll have some bloom each year.