The Q&A Archives: Resouces for New Gardener

Question: I am new to gardening, and wanted to know where to find information online for the correct planting times for different vegetables such as tomatoes and peppers.

Answer: Welcome to the world of gardening! You can search our FAQ database for questions on specific subjects. Another great resource is your County Agricultural Extension office (ph# 516/454-0900), which has free or low-cost gardening bulletins. Also, check out the Cornell Cooperative Extension site resources page at
Many commercial websites offer free information to visitors and "members," too.

As for other free information on growing plants, mail order nursery and seed catalogs provide a wealth of information. I can tell you that peppers and tomatoes, being tender, heat-loving plants, should be planted after danger of frost has passed -- in your area, it's time to plant, since the average last frost date for Massapequa Park is April 20th. It's a little late to start these from seed, but you can buy plants at greenhouses and garden centers. Hope this helps!