The Q&A Archives: Moving Peonies

Question: I am moving end of June. I have 2 peony plants that I want to move with me. Will this kill them? I am hoping that they can be moved at this time of year - they have been with me for a while.

Answer: Peonies really don't like to be disturbed once they've become established, but sometimes it's necessary to dig and divide the clumps. This is usually done in the fall, after frost kills the foliage back, and the plants are going into their resting period. Digging and transplanting in June will probably annoy your peonies, but it shouldn't kill them. You might want to dig them now before they produce too much foliage and replant them in pots. Leave them in the pots until early fall, then transplant into your new garden.