The Q&A Archives: Sweet Pea Colors

Question: I'm wondering if variegated sweet peas are common. I planted "mixed color" sweet peas a couple years ago and was surprized to find the next spring that I had some beautiful "striped" flowers among the usual solid colors. Is striping common or did I just get lucky enough to have some beautiful mutants?

Answer: I think you were lucky! Although not commonly seen in this country, named varieties and strains of striped or bi-itoned sweet peas are available as are sweet peas in a wide range of colors, sizes, shapes and levels of fragrance. Burpee (800-888-1447) offers "Wilshire Ripple" which could almost be described as striped, and Thompson and Morgan (800-274-7333) offers a big selection of specialty sweet peas, many of which originated in England. While I'm not sure exactly how yours turned out, you might find something similar.